Advice to High School Seniors

As the summer before my first year of college comes to a close, I would like to share what I've learned this past year as I ended a chapter in my life and began a new one. Bear with me as I rant a little bit here.

For most of y'all, seniors, you will probably only be taking 5 classes a day and some of you will be out of school by lunch time. Don't waste your afternoon goofing off and avoiding your homework, even though you're a senior and feel invincible trust me there will be that one teacher that will fail you.

Spend time with your friends and other seniors you don't normally hang out with because after graduation you won't see most of those people for awhile, if ever again. I know everyone tells you this, but it's true. I've met and talked to more people going to college with me this summer, who I've never met before, than I've seen or even talked to high school friends.

Apply to colleges early and the second you get admitted apply for housing. This is an important one. I know at A&M the earlier you apply for housing the better chance of getting a good dorm. Story Time.... Both my friend and I got accepted the same day to A&M. I applied for housing that night and was in May able to get my first choice dorm. However, my friend applied the next day and got a nice dorm it just wasn't what she wanted.

Apply to multiple colleges, especially if you're like me and like choices. Unless you know for sure you can get into your dream college, apply to a few back up ones as well.

Don't worry about you application too much. If it is meant to be you will get in, if not you get to go to a school that actually wants you there.

Apply to every scholarship possible. You never know when you might get some money.

Go to the sporting events even if your team sucks. You will miss Friday night football once it's over, because it's just another way to spend time with friends that will be living hundreds of miles from you next year.

Dress up for spirit days no matter how childish they might be. You might think you're too cool to wear a superman cape or wear red for Red Ribbon week, but do it. It not only gives you a bit more wiggle room with those strict high school dress codes, but it's your last chance to dress crazy to class, let's face it professors aren't going to appreciate a Spiderman costume in class, okay they might but you'll look a bit weird and I sure don't have the courage to wear one to a 350 person class.

Get to know your high school teachers and appreciate the small class sizes of no more than 30 people, because in college you will have many classes with 400 people. I've also learned some great life lessons from my high school teachers, so don't ignore their wisdom.

Hug your momma!! I can't stress this one enough!! As I get closer to move-in day, I get more scared, because it's getting real. I have to feed myself. How am I supposed to make guacamole in a dorm room? Who is going to take care of me when I'm sick?

Eat the piece of pizza without any regrets!! You are only 18 for so long!!

For the girls, that boy is not worth all of your tears. If he doesn't treat you right break up with him. You deserve a man who respects you and your values.

Same thing for you guys, if that girl doesn't respect you, then she isn't good enough for you.

Take pictures and videos!! Memories fade but pictures are forever. Have something to show your children and grandchildren.

Most importantly enjoy life and try not to stress too much. Life is too short to be worried about the little things.

-With Love 
Em


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My College Packing List!!!

Growing Up